The Award Winners
(This page last updated
25th Annual KCSD Koi Show 2012
February 25-26, 2012
OUR SILVER ANNIVERSARY
Show Chairman Matt Rhoades
Vendor Chairman John Svelan (858)444-5669
Judging Chairman Galen Hansen
The 25th Annual KCSD Koi Show will be February 25-26, 2012 at the Activity Center of the Del Mar Fairgrounds.
Awards Banquet at Karl Strauss!
Karl Strauss Brewery Restaurant
is the place to be after the show Saturday night.
Famous for fun and great beers, Karl Strauss will have their superb handcrafted brews on tap as we dine by their koi pond.
The judges will present the major awards and discuss why they picked those koi.
Holiday Inn Express
(800-332-9992 or 760-944-0427) located at 1661 Villa
Cardiff Dr. 92007 in nearby Cardiff By The Sea, has rooms available for us at
$79/night including complimentary full breakfast (self-service), parking and WiFi. Identify yourself as "koi club".
Also nearby are the Hilton at 15575 Jimmy Durante Boulevard, Del Mar, 858-792-5200,
and another Holiday Inn Express at 621 South Highway 101, Solana Beach, 858-350-0111.
Other hotels are located at freeway exits from I-5.
, Head Judge
, Assistant Head Judge
, Assistant Judge
Penny Patton, Assistant Judge
Tamara Skaggs, Candidate Judge
Marc Skaggs, Candidate Judge
Exhibitor Requirements and Fees
- This is a hobbyist koi show and will be conducted English style with the koi of each exhibitor kept together in their own tank(s). Koi dealers
having a business license or name for the purpose of selling koi, or employees of koi dealers are not permitted to enter. Exhibitors engaged in selling dry pond or pond related products and their employees are permitted to enter.
- The registered exhibitor must be the actual owner of the koi entered.
- Koi dealers may assist their customers by transporting koi to the show, however the actual owner of the koi must be present during benching and at the conclusion of the show.
- The exhibitor must sign the official entry/ownership form and pay all fees prior to the close of registration (Saturday 9:30 AM) in order to qualify for judging.
- Checks or money orders should be made payable to KCSD or Koi Club of San Diego. Tanks will not be reserved nor will koi be accepted until fees have been paid.
- Preregistration and fees must be postmarked no later than February 1, 2012. The $50 entry fee includes
the first three fish entered. Each additional fish is $5. Entry fees include as many tanks as necessary to safely hold your koi.
Additional tanks requested without meeting the maximum fish load per tank will be $50 for the first three koi and $5 for each
additional koi. No tank will be stocked beyond the 100% load as determined by the calculations shown on the entrant work sheet.
Supplemental entries (made after the initial koi entries have been benched) are $10 per fish. Registration after
February 1st is $65 for the first three fish entered plus $5 for each additional koi on a first come, first served basis
with no guarantee that a tank will be available.
- Exhibitors may, by mutual agreement, share a tank but it is not recommended.
- Each exhibitor is responsible for providing a net for use with their tank. If you do not provide a net we will provide a net for use during benching and judging for a $20 rental fee.
- KCSD will provide a separate tub for use with each tank.
- Past Grand Champions of KCSD shows are eligible for entry.
- There will not be any restrictions on exhibitors selling their koi, including using their own or other websites and/or facilities after the release of exhibitors at 3PM Sunday.
Enter koi, buy banquet tickets, select meals, buy raffle tickets:
Online registration closed. Please register at the show.
If you have an unmailed check, bring it to the admin desk at the show.
Delivery and Removal of Koi
- Check-in of koi will be on Friday from 4PM to 8PM and Saturday from 8AM to 9:30 AM. Late arrivals after 9:30 AM Saturday will not be accepted or judged. Arrivals prior to 4 PM Friday may have to wait until all tanks have been treated prior to floating bags or releasing koi in the tanks.
- Each exhibitor will be assigned a tank by the registration team. Exhibitors having multiple tanks may designate which of their fish go into which tank as long as the tank load criteria is maintained.
- Do not float bags in the tanks until you have been assigned a tank and given approval by the registration team. The owner or agent delivering the koi must remain with the koi until the koi are released into their tank(s).
- The exhibitor must be present during benching and classification.
- Digital photos will be taken of each fish during benching.
- Koi will be handled only by the Show Chairman's designated handlers. If you have a concern and need your koi tubbed following check-in, please request a designated handler from the registration desk.
- All entries must be left on exhibit until the conclusion of the show on Sunday at 3 PM. If you live more than 200 miles from the show site and need to leave early, please contact the Show Chairman prior to entering for approval.
- All necessary precautions will be taken by the club to safeguard the exhibitors' koi, including 24 hour monitoring. All participants in the show will agree to hold KCSD, its officers, members, and show volunteers harmless against any loss or injury to the exhibitors' fish.
- At the close of the show, Sunday 3 PM, each exhibitor will be polled to ensure that all of their fish are in their assigned tank(s). All exhibitors must be present at that time to remove their koi from the show site. No koi will be allowed to be bagged or removed until all fish are identified to the satisfaction of all entrants, and officially released by the Show Chairman. Out of town exhibitors will be given priority for fish removal and KCSD members will be available to assist them as desired. Oxygen, bags, and rubber bands will be provided.
- Any koi not claimed at the conclusion of the show will become the property of KCSD.
- Discontinue feeding koi 5-7 days prior to the show.
- Be sure that your koi are in good health. Koi with any signs of sickness or parasites will be disqualified. Examine your fish from top to bottom before you bring them. Fish that have any signs of injury, parasites, or illness should not be transported to the show. This will include any areas of injury or infection that are not completely healed. The decision of the Show Chairman will be final in this matter.
- Prior to judging the Show Chairman will verify that all koi are entered into their proper class and size. If an error is made, correction of classification will be made prior to judging, or during judging if it is possible without disrupting the judging process. Gin rin and doitsu will not be reclassified after check-in and benching.
- During judging, entrants may quietly and respectfully listen to the Judges comments from outside the show ring. All participants and spectators must refrain from communicating with the Judges or attempting to influence their decisions in any way. Decisions of the Judges and the Show Chairman are final.
Awards Banquet at Karl Strauss!
Karl Strauss Brewery Restaurant
is the place to be after the show Saturday night. Famous for fun and great beers, Karl Strauss will have their superb handcrafted brews on tap as we dine by their koi pond. The judges will present the major awards and discuss why they picked those koi. We'll have a Koi Products Drawing and Auctions of "Specialty Items", and there's sure to be a story or two from Dr. Hansen (worth the price of admission). All this in a great setting just 10 minutes from the show and at a greatly reduced price from last year. Get your reservations in early - this evening is sure to be a hit.
Schedule of Events
Entry of Fish
- Friday, Feb 24, 4PM-8PM, Saturday Feb 25, 8AM-9:30PM.
Show Open to the Public
- Saturday Feb 25, 9:30AM-4PM, Sunday Feb 26, 9AM-3PM.
- Saturday Feb 25, 9:40AM-10:00AM, outside the front doors of the Activity Center.
- Saturday Feb 25, 10AM until completed.
- Saturday Feb 25, 6PM, Karl Strauss Brewery Restaurant, 9675 Scranton Road, San Diego, 92121.
- Sunday Feb 26, 10AM.
- Sunday Feb 26, 11:30AM.
- Sunday Feb 26, 1PM.
- Sunday Feb 26, 2PM.
Close of Show
- Sunday Feb 26, 3PM.
Classes and Sizes
- Sizes - There will be seven class sizes starting with Under 8", then 8-12", and the following sizes will increase in 4" increments with the largest size being over 28". There are no size limitations of either too small or too large.
- Hariwake and Hikari Utsuri will be judged in the Hikari Moyo class.
- Gin Rin - There will be one Gin Rin class. Koi with Gin Rin may be entered in either the Gin Rin class or the appropriate non-Gin Rin class. Please note on your entry form your preference and be present at koi check-in to confirm proper placement. No changes can be made after the decision at check-in.
- Doitsu - The entrant has the choice of entering the koi in either the Doitsu or appropriate non-Doitsu class except for Shusui, which must be entered in the Asagi/Shusui class, Kumonryu which must be entered in the Kawarigoi class, and those classified to go into the Hikari Moyo class. No changes can be made after the decision at check-in.
- Long Fin - The tail of a Long Fin will be included in the measurement. All Long Fin fish will be judged in the Long Fin class.
- Novice - To enter as a Novice, the owner of the koi can not have previously competed in any koi show and must indicate Novice status on the entry form. Novice entries will compete in the open classes and in addition be eligible for Best Novice Baby (Sizes1,2,3), Best Novice Young(Sizes 4&5), Best Novice Mature(Sizes 6&7), and Novice Champion.
- Best Awards - Best Baby will be selected from Size 1, Best Young from Sizes 2 & 3, Best Adult from Sizes 4 & 5, and Best Mature from Sizes 6 & 7.
- Champion Awards - All entries are eligible for Grand Champion. Hikari Moyo, Hikari Muji, Goshiki/Koromo, Gin Rin, Doitsu, Bekko, Tancho, Asagi/Shusui, Kawarigoi, and Longfin will be eligible for Non-Gosanke Champion.
Reserve Grand Champion
Best in Size
Best in Size 1 (under 8")
Best in Size 2 (8-12")
Best in Size 3 (12-16")
Best in Size 4 (16-20")
Best in Size 5 (20-24")
Best in Size 6 (24-28")
Best in Size 7 (over 28")
Best in Class
1st, 2nd, 3rd, Place
(in every size and class)
(in select classes)
Bob Spindola Award
Best Booth Awards
Best Novice Mature
Best Novice Young
Best Novice Baby